22 junio 2010

The most exciting letter ever.

By some miracle a letter sent from southern Spain on June 16 arrived to my PO Box in Pullman this morning. For 7 longggg months I had been waiting for this letter, and could not believe it finally had arrived. When I tore open that envelope with my destiny awaiting I saw the bold words: Cartaya (Huelva), Spain. To me this was very good news, the best of both worlds: getting to live near the beach, but also being less than an hour from Sevilla, one of my most favorite cities in the world and where I studied in 2009. I ran out to the parking lot and called a friend, half yelling, almost crying, and letting it sink it that I´m really moving back to Spain in 74 days. Oooooh what a feeling. To top off my day, Julia, a friend who´s also doing the program, finally called me this afternoon and said she was placed in Sevilla. No puede ser.

Anywho, Huelva is a small city of almost 150,000 on the Atlantic coast. Even though it´s not exactly the most beautiful of Spanish cities, it definitely has some amazing beaches, low cost of living, and most importantly, it´s Spain!!! (And very near the Portugal border!) I´ll be working in a high school in one of the whitewashed pueblos outside of Huelva called Cartaya, less than a half hour commute. I´m really stoked to be able to integrate more into Spanish life too since Huelva doesn´t seem to be a big touristy destination. I can´t wait to continue improving my Spanish, maybe take on German (or French, or Portuguese!), and forget words in English all over again.

Julia:"Today is more exciting than the day I got into college."
True that...

1 comentario:

  1. I can't believe you heard back from them this quickly!!! I am SO SO SO happy for you Coty. You're doing the thing we all secretly want to do but are too afraid or not gutsy enough to do it. Bravo, mi amiga. I am so proud of you and cannot wait to live vicariously through you. AND VISIT YOU! :) te quiero muchisimo.

    ResponderEliminar